TOWN OF RUTLAND

 

SELECT BOARD MEETING

 

DECEMBER 22, 2009

 

 

MINUTES:

 

The meeting opened at 7:00 P.M. with the Pledge of Allegiance.

 

Board members present:  Joe Dicton, James Hall and Stanley Rhodes III.

 

Review of the 12/8/2009 Minutes

 

Mr. Dicton motioned to accept the minutes as written.  Mr. Hall seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously

 

Town Clerk/Treasurer – Marie Hyjek

 

Dave Lewis was present to represent the Fire Districts.  He has talked with Ms. Hyjek and it was decided that he would collect the money from Fire Districts 2, 4, 5 and 8 if they are to stay on the Town’s policy with VLCT.  Fire District #1 will be on their own as it is cost effective for them to do so.  All Fire Districts are agreeable to this arrangement as well as VLCT and there will be no impact to the Town’s budget.

 

Mr. Dicton motioned to rescind the last Select Board vote not to carry the Fire Districts on the Town’s policy with VLCT and to have Mr. Lewis facilitate correspondence with the Town.  Mr. Hall seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

Ms. Hyjek reported a change in VLCT’s bylaws adding an exit fee for towns leaving VLCT’s coverage.   She also reported that CIGNA has increased the cost of health coverage for employees by two and a half percent.  This is lower than past years.

 

Last year it cost the taxpayers $400 to send postcards out in advance of the Town Report as required by the Post Office.  This year the reports can be mailed with “or current resident” on them which will be put on by the printer and this will save the cost of sending out advance postcards.

 

Ms. Hyjek asked that anyone putting reports or pictures in the Town Report start to gather them together so that we can meet the deadline with the printer.

 

The pre-town meeting for the March election will be held at the school on January 25, 2010 at 7:00 P.M. with the school going first this year.

 

 

 

 

SWAC – Charlie Shields

 

Mr. Shields asked that the Transportation Committee of the Select Board have signs made up for the Transfer Station to remind the public of the hazardous waste collection dates.  He would like the dates to be changeable.  Mr. Dicton will follow up on this.

 

Highway – Byron Hathaway

 

Mr. Hathaway discussed the overtime on his timesheet and said that he would try to take time off when it is not busy to compensate for time spent loading salt.

 

Tony Flory will not be able to plow for at least another month due to his eye surgery.  Mr. Hemenway helped out with the last storm but cannot help for the month due to other commitments.  Tim Hubbard’s son is going to start to help plow and salt the Center Rutland route.

 

The Town has not received all the insurance and CDL paperwork as yet from all the subcontractors.  Ms. Hyjek and Mr. Hathaway will get together to check on these. 

 

Chief Sly reported that drug testing is not required for subcontractors using their own vehicles.

 

Mr. Hathaway presented a report on salt usage based on the use of the new scale.  So far it is more accurate and helped find a problem with the gate on the Hubbard’s truck.

 

Two applications of salt were required during the last ice storm as it started to refreeze after the first application.

 

Mr. Shields interjected that he thought the Herald article on plowing during the last storm was biased and he talked to the reporter.

 

Mr. Dicton said he had an inquiry from a resident on Annette Terrace as to when the rest of the road would be paved.  Mr. Hathaway said that it is on the agenda for the next season.  Mr. Hathaway also provided the Board with a long range plan for paving which is dependent on funding from the State.

 

Police Department – Chief Sly

 

Chief Sly said that Vermont does not have a dry road policy and drivers need to take caution in the winter weather.

 

Recreation – Jody Hall

 

Mr. Hall reported that the basketball season began the past week-end with the Snowball Tournament.  The two fifth grade classes came second, the sixth grade girls came in second and the sixth grade boys won the championship.

 

(2)

The Recreation Commission had their budget meeting and they are level funding.

 

Mr. Dicton mentioned that he thought the wind screen around the tennis courts was coming loose and should be removed for the winter.  Mr. Hall is to check into doing this.

 

Town Administrator – Joseph Zingale Jr.

 

Mr. Zingale reported that the Airport Park will help to collect the monies due the Town for past O & M costs.

 

Surveys will be conducted on the Otter Creek basin checking the seven largest towns discharging waste into the creek.  This will be dependent on getting a $100,000 grant.  Fire District #1 and Alpine will also be included.  Per Mr. Zingale this is not business friendly and businesses could be fined.  The study is planned to take place in 2010.

 

Mr. Zingale sent a letter to the State concerning the merits of planning grants since they have been suspended.  Rep. Heath responded saying no town had complained for the first six months and it doesn’t look good for their continuance.

 

Mr. Zingale sent a letter to the Vermont Secretary of Transportation requesting that the Town of Rutland be included in future meetings on the Ripley Bridge.  Mr. Hall motioned to support Mr. Zingale’s letter and Mr. Dicton seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

VLCT is offering a program with a 50-50 match, up to $5,000 for safety devices.

 

When the full Board meets, there will be a discussion on having someone appointed to make decisions in between meetings.

 

Mr. Zingale said that people have been making payments on delinquent water and sewer bills.

 

Chris Wilk sent a letter concerning his flood plain encroachment and a meeting will be set up.

 

The Town may be receiving money back from the State on overpayment for the cost of processing records for the one percent tax.  They have been charging $10.80 per record and the real cost is $8.24.

 

Fire Department – Joe Denardo

 

Chief Denardo wanted to clarify the article in the Circle concerning Engine #3.  Repairs are being made but the tanker is not being replaced at this time.

 

There have been no chimney fires as yet.  Concerning pellet stoves, Chief Denardo recommends that users follow the instructions from the manufacturer.

 

(3)

 

McKinley Bridge Project

 

Don Quirk provided feedback that he would like to see the project completed sooner rather than later.  This might not coincide with the School’s desires regarding bussing.  Mr. Hathaway talked to Jeff Colomb, a bus driver, concerning him having to take a longer route while the bridge is being repaired. The Board felt that the project should be done sooner and not put off for one bus route.  The project should take about thirty days if the contractor selected works around the clock.

 

Chief Denardo said that he is going to park one fire truck at CVPS to service Route 7.  He also said that there should be adequate notification to residents and businesses on McKinley Avenue.  Mr. Hathaway said there are certain State requirements to follow in this regard at the Town’s expense.  The Town also has to put the project out for bids.  April is the earliest to get started due to the temperature.

 

Chief Sly said that this project will not adversely affect State Police response.

 

Mr. Hathaway said he would like to pave McKinley Avenue after the bridge is repaired.

 

The Town’s portion of the cost of the project is $34,000 which will come out of the Highway budget.

 

Correspondence

 

Jim Hall received a quote from Thomas Doran on repairing the chimney on Town Hall.  He is also expecting a quote from Tedesco’s.  Mr. Rhodes said that he feels it would be best to replace the whole chimney.

 

Mr. Zingale made up a new, shorter version of the greeting on the Town Hall phone system for the Board to review.  Mr. Hall said that it may be helpful if Mr. Zingale has his own dedicated phone line.

 

Mr. Rhodes said that Water and Sewer inquiries should go through Mr. Zingale.

 

Don Guimond of Fire District #4 has asked the City to take over maintenance of their system and the City has agreed.  This is due to the City’s ability to access the water source.

 

The Town received figures from the State Property Valuation and Review Department concerning the CLA (Common Level of Appraisal) and Ms. Hyjek said that these figures will be used to determine the County tax the Town has to pay.

 

The Town will donate $100 to the George D. Aiken Council for Resource Conservation.  This will come out of the Miscellaneous Contribution budget.

 

(4)

 

Some businesses on Randbury Road were billed for water they did not use.  This issue will be discussed when there is a full Board present.  Mr. Hall suggested that these businesses be given a credit on their next sewer bills.

 

Miscellaneous

 

The Board will have a General budget meeting on December 29, 2009 at 3:00 P.M. 

 

No budget information should be given to the Rutland Herald until the final budget is completed.  Mr. Nicholson added that drafts do not need to be made public, only finalized budgets.

 

Mr. Hall motioned to end the meeting.  Mr. Dicton seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.  The meeting ended at 8:15 P.M.   

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(5)