TOWN OF RUTLAND
Board members present: Stanley Rhodes III, Steve Hawley, Jim Hall and Joe Dicton
The Meeting opened at 6:40 P.M.
All rose for The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States Flag.
The Board reviewed the January 31, 20112 minutes. Mr. Hall moved to approve the 1-31-12 minutes with corrections. Mr. Dicton made a second to the motion. The motion passed by a vote of 4 to 0. Mr. Terenzini did not vote.
Mr. Rhodes inquired if everyone found the two and a half police officers time sheets in the Board’s orders. Mr. Rhodes said the reports are on file if anyone would like to view the reports.
Mr. Rhodes displayed a picture of the proposed sewer manhole extension riser.
There were no questions from the floor.
Town Clerk & Treasurer: Ms. Marie Hyjek reported:
Solid Waste Alliance Communities & Rutland Transportation Council: Mr. Shields reported:
Recreation Director: Mike Rowe reported:
1. Basketball is winding up.
2. Baseball registrations to begin February 28th and 29th from 5:00 PM to 6:00 in the School Gym Lobby
The Board discussed Stantec’s budget proposal for the design and construction of the relocation of the Post Road Pump Station electrical panel. Mr. Rhodes cited the cost break downs contained in the proposed budget.
Mr. Rhodes said the subtotal for all of the work is $38,100.00 plus an additional for $5,000.00 for testing services. Mr. Rhodes said he came up with a total of $43,100.00 for engineering oversight of the project. Mr. Rhodes said the Board should put out a RFP, using Stantec’s Scope –of-work in order to get prices.
Mr. Dicton moved to put the engineering work for the upgrade for the US RT 7 / Post Road sewer system electrical portion out to bid. Mr. Hall made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Mr. Hawley moved for Mr. Rhodes to sign the Vermont Agency of Transportation permit application. Mr. Terenzini made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Mr. Rhodes said Town School Board Chairman Ms. Lynette Gallipo would attend the Board’s next meeting to discuss the School’s proposed bond.
Mr. Rhodes cited the fact that the one percent local option tax raised $1,130.986.99 in 2011. Mr. Terenzini said the Board has done a good job lowering property taxes with the local option money. Mr. Terenzini said the Board puts a lot of time and energy into making a budget.
Mr. Rhodes said the Board budgeted for five new computers and two laptops and the Fire Department budgeted for $3,500.00 for hose testing. Mr. Rhodes cited the fact Town employees would receive a 2.5% pay raise.
Mr. Rhodes said:
The General Budget is up 1.48%
The Highway is up 1%
The Fire Budget is 3.14 %
The Recreation is up 1.32%
Regional Planning Commission Mr. Fred Nicholson reported:
1. Told the Board that the RRPC is initiating a strategic planning process to set the course for the RRPC for the foreseeable future.
Town Administrator: Mr. Joseph Zingale reported:
1. Informed the Board that an individual living on Robert Place is having mail delivery problems because of the name of her street and that the individual has requested a street name change. The Board and Mr. Zingale discussed the matter and the Board decided not to take any action at this time. Mr. Zingale will write to the town resident and ask that more time be given to see if the addressing problem is corrected. Mr. Zingale said there should not be any address confusion with emergency services since emergency responders have access to the 911 database. The Board would consider Sawmill Hill Place” if the name is changed.
2. Inquired if the Board wants to apply for an Enhancement Grant to build a sidewalk on Post Road. The Board discussed the matter and expressed little interest in applying for an Enhancement Grant.
Town Road Commissioner: Mr. Byron Hathaway reported:
Fire Chief: Joseph Denardo reported:
Planning Commission: William Matteson
Police Department: Chief John Sly reported: