TOWN OF RUTLAND


SELECT BOARD

MINUTES: July 31, 2012


Board members present: Stanley Rhodes, Steve Hawley and Jim Hall


The Meeting opened at 6:30 P.M.

All rose for the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States Flag.

Mr. Hall moved to approve the 7-17-12 minutes with corrections. Mr. Hawley made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously

Town Clerk & Treasurer: Ms. Marie Hyjek reported:

  1. Told the Board her computer was programed last Thursday to print the tax bills

  2. Told the Board tax bills were printed on Thursday

  3. Told the Board her new printer cut the printing time in half

  4. Told the Board she concentrated on escrow accounts and transfers on Friday

  5. Told the Board that her office has 500 escrow accounts

  6. Told the Board all 500 accounts are done

  7. Told the Board she now has to print two tax books because of State pre-bates

  8. Told the Board she also runs a second set of plain tax bills because some people do not bring in their stubs when they pay their taxes

  9. Told the Board it took five hours on Saturday to stuff the tax bills

  10. Told the Board that the tax bills were mailed on Monday

  11. Told the Board the tax bills were separated into residential and nun residential because of an insert from the State that must go in the residential envelopes

  12. Told the Board that people with escrow accounts get a little note informing them that an escrow account has requested a copy of their information

  13. Told the Board that 7-31-12 was the last day to appeal taxes

  14. Told the Board that six tax appeal cases will go to the Board of Civil Authority

  15. Told the Board she received a trouble-shoot call from the Fire Alarm on Sunday

  16. Told the Board she could not reset or silence the alarm.

  17. Told the Board she had Mike Carlson check out the alarm

  18. Told the Board the alarm control panel had burnt and had to be replaced

  19. Told the Board that Mr. Rhodes gave her permission to replace the Alarm Box

  20. Told the Board that she had to pay half the cost up front

  21. Told the Board that she is still having trouble with he phone line

  22. Told the Board that a BCA meeting is scheduled for 8-7-12 at 6:00 o'clock

  23. Requested the Board change their scheduled August 28th meeting to another date because of the primary election. The Board will meet on August 27th


Town Road Commissioner: Mr. Byron Hathaway reported:


  1. Told the Board that Wilk will be completing the Town paving when they can get three days open to do the work

  2. Informed the Board that there may be grant money for building a sidewalk from the Town School to Chasanna Drive. Mr. Hathaway said the money would be an Agency of Transportation grant.
    Mr. Hathaway said the local match would be 20 %. Mr. Rhodes questioned whether the School Board should be doing the project. Mr. Rhodes said the money from logging of the Mead lot will go toward a new highway garage and any money from the solar project should also go toward a new highway garage. Mr. Rhodes said he is not in favor of doing a feasibility study. Mr. Hathaway said a feasibility study will identify all the roadblocks that might come up. Mr. Rhodes cited the fact there is ledge along the roadway.

    Mr. Rhodes said with the enrollment down and the economic times being what they are, he is not ready to set aside 20%. The Board and Mr. Hathaway discussed the matter further. Mr. Rhodes said he would wait until the project cost are know before opposing the project. Mr. Hathaway said there is
    $25,000.00 available for a feasibility study. Mr. Rhodes said the the Town share would be $5,000.00. Mr. Hall cited the fact that the feasibility study could be done and put on the shelf and would still be good in the future. Mr. Rhodes said he would support the proposal if the study could be put on the shelf until Enhancement Grants are available again. The Board instructed Mr. Hathaway to pursue the feasibility grant.

  3. Mr. Rhodes reported to the Board on behalf of the Road Committee regarding a drainage problem in front of Ms. Norma Levy’s property off Chasanna Drive. Mr. Rhodes said he and Mr. Hall and Mr. Hathaway had viewed the sight. Mr. Rhodes said we know there is ledge and that they talked about trying to run drainage into Mr. Ned Hemenway's old meadow behind the first house on the left on Chasanna Drive. He said there is not the pitch to get the water to the Meadow.

    Mr. Rhodes said it is what it has always been and that nothing was going to change. Mr. Hall said the problem is the lay of the land. Mr. Rhodes said the Board is not going to drill and blast to get drainage because we are putting an inch pitch on the road. Mr. Rhodes cited a previous incident in which an individual had drainage problems because the lay of the land. Mr. Rhodes said the Board would not spend public money trying to change the drainage. Mr. Hawley said the situation has existed forever and has always been that way. Mr. Rhodes told Mr. Hathaway to inform Ms. Levy that the Board was not going to take any action. Town Administrator, Joseph Zingale cited the fact the Board might need additional drainage rights to divert water onto someone land and that the icing problem was within the Town Road R-O-W.

      Mr. Rhodes opened the Guard Rail bids:

      FR Lafitte $17,417.40

      Vermont Recreational Surface Fencing $12,454.00

      Mr. Hawley made a motion to accept the Vermont Recreational Surface Fencing bid. Mr. Hall made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

      Mr. Rhodes informed the Board that he had hired Mr. Larry Young to build three more Town Welcome signs. Mr. Rhodes said the price is about $240.00 each. Mr. Rhodes also informed the Board that Sargent Appraisal would be doing the appraisal on the land the Town acquired at the tax sale. Mr. Rhodes said the cost would be less than $500.00.

Transportation Council & SWAC: Charles Shields reported:


No Meeting no report.


Regional Planning Commission Mr. Fred Nicholson reported:


No Meeting no report.


Mr. Nicholson reported to the Board as Town Tree Warden. Mr. Nicholson told the Board that he had not scheduled a public hearing regarding whether a tree on Killington Avenue should be taken down for safety concerns. Mr. Nicholson told the Board that he had received information that the discussion as to whether to cut down the tree has caused a lot of stress for the has caused elderly homeowner that is not well. Mr. Nicholson said he has some concerns the Town might incur by not acting.

Mr. Hathaway said he could install a couple of mirrors to help motorist see and that in the future the Board consider removing the tree. Mr. Hathaway encouraged the Board to consider cutting some trees on the east side of the road as well.



Fire Chief: Joseph Denardo reported:


Chief Denardo and Fire Truck manufacturer Mr. Larry Dingee met with the Board regarding the Town recent selection of Mr. Dingee to build a new truck for the Town. Mr. Rhodes cited the fact that the full Board had approved the contract at the previous meeting. Mr. Rhodes cited the fact that Mr. Dingee has built five trucks for the Town. Mr. Rhodes questioned Mr. Denardo regarding the status of the new tanker. Mr. Denardo said there are a few items left to address.

Mr. Rhodes questioned if the Town should keep the
$16,000.00 retainer money until the items are resolved. Mr. Denardo said the outstanding items are less than $16,000.00. Mr. Rhodes discussed how Mr. Dingee would complete the work on the truck. Mr. Dingee and Mr. Rhodes discussed the recent recall of Freightliner vehiclels with the roll stability option. Mr. Denardo informed the Board that he would like to upgrade the motor in the proposed truck and that it would cost $7,700.00. The matter was discussed further and Mr. Hall made a motion to purchase the larger 9 liter motor. Mr. Hawley made a second tot he motion. The motion passed unanimously.Mr. Rhodes and Mr. Dingee signed the contract.

Mr. Denardo discussed the new lock box ordinance with the Board. Mr. Denardo said anyone that has an alarm system will need to complete a form
provided by the Fire Department. Mr. Denardo said individuals could get a form from him or and of the assistant chiefs.



Recreation Director: Mike Rowe reported:


  1. Everything is going well.

  2. The pool will close on August 23rd.

  3. Soccer registration will be on August 13 & 14 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at Northwood Pool.


Town Administrator: Mr. Joseph Zingale reported:


  1. Informed the Board that the Town will need to get a wetland permit for the planned relocation of the electric panel on Post Road.

  2. Mr. Rhodes signed the Dubois & King contract for the electric panel relocation.

  3. Presented a copy of an e-mail from Act 250 Coordinator, William Burke, stating there would be no Act 250 review for the proposed solar farm at Northwood Park.

  4. Informed the Board that it would have to apply for the Rutland Railway Enhancement Grant, due to changes with eligibility. Mr. Zingale said the Town would also need to schedule a public meeting to discuss the project. Mr. Zingale said he could warn the meeting for August 27.

  5. Reminded Board members that they had planned to discuss the Flory Plaza. Mr. Rhodes said several residents recently asked him the status of the Flory Plaza. He said no one has asked him about the proposed zoning regulations. Mr. Hawley said it is time to take the next step now that all the information is in.


The Board reviewed packet correspondence.


Mr. Hall cited the fact the Town Hall chimney needs to be fixed as well as the building being power washed and painted. The Board discussed the matter and decided to put the items out to bid. Ms. Hyjek is to get past charges for the building power washing and present to the Board.


Mr. Rhodes will write up a notice for the power washing, chimney and building painting.


Mr. Hawley said the door at the pool needs to be replaced. Mr. Rhodes said he would have Mr. Larry Young replace the door.


The Board will meet on August 6, 2012 at 6:30 P.M. To work on the proposed Zoning Regulations.

Police Chief: Ed Dumas reported:


Not present



Planning Commission: William Matteson:


Not Present


Mr. Hawley moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:36 P.M. Mr. Hall made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
























7