Highway Committee Meeting 9-20-18
RUTLAND TOWN SELECT BOARD
HIGHWAY COMMITTEE MEETING
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 20TH, 2018
The Highway Committees of the Rutland Town Select Board met at 430 PM, Thursday September 20th, on Simons Avenue. Present was Board Chairman Josh Terenzini, Board member Mary Ashcroft, Board Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet, RT Road Commissioner Byron Hathaway, Mark Youngstrom from Otter Creek Engineering, Dick Lloyd and Barbara Noyes-Pulling from the Town Planning Commission, John Greenan and Geno Balestra from Green Mountain Power and area residents Sharron Jozwiak, Heather Ruelke and Keith MacIntyre
1) Walked out to view the site below the Vermont Railway trestle
2) Reviewed the land area owned by Rutland Town and Green Mountain Power (GMP)
3) Reviewed map with floodplain information and discussed area affected by Irene
4) Looked at beach site next to Otter Creek
5) GMP doesn’t have current plans for the property but has some from the past they will look up
6) Discussion of developing a canoe launch area with a termination point in Proctor
7) Discussed next steps
a. Design ideas
b. Reaching out to state agencies
c. Work with GMP
8) A formal letter to GMP should be sent to ask for cooperation in the project
9) Need to reach out to Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) to discuss potential issues
a. GMP has had them on site already, as part of their re-permitting process for the hydro dam and they indicated they would be willing to help coordinate
10) Recommendations for developing this area were part of both studies done on the Business Route 4 corridor.
11) Discussed concerns and potential problems with a park in this area
There being no other business the meeting adjourned at 5:05 PM.
Respectfully submitted Mr. Bill Sweet.