Planning Commission Minutes 3-28-19
TOWN OF RUTLAND
DATE March 28th, 2019
RUTLAND TOWN MUNICIPAL HALL
OPEN MEETING 7:00 P.M.
Present: Chair Person Barbara Noyes-Pulling, Dana Peterson, Howard Burgess, Sherman Hunter, Norman Cohen, Mary Beth Poli, Andy McKane by phone
Approval of the Agenda:
Mr. Cohen moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Peterson seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Public Hearing on the enhanced energy plan
- Created in part by Vermont renewable energy goals
- Reviewed the draft of the new plan via a PowerPoint presentation
- Reviewed renewably energy being created by solar currently and what the total potential is
- Reviewed various aspects of the view shed survey from Middlebury College
- Discussed a question on the impact to the solar sighting analysis
- This study works with the existing language
- Answered questions pertaining to the new plan
- Ralph Meima of Green Lantern Solar was present and introduced himself and informed the commission he will be putting together a proposal for a solar array to present to the Select Board
- He reviewed the process he would be going through
- The public hearing closed at 7:40 PM.
- The plan will now be sent to the Select Board
- Commission to meet with Town Road Commissioner Byron Hathaway
- Discussed subdivisions and driveway access permits.
- Discussed bringing in the Highway Commissioner and Fire Chief in on future subdivision requests to ensure the commission has additional input to make an informed decision.
- Hathaway reviewed the criteria he uses to issue a permit, including site distances
- Reviewed applications in the past and what the outcome was and ideas to improve in the future.
- Applications which had roads for a subdivision in another town
- Applications which had roads not large enough
- Discussed attaching a checklist to an access permit request to determine what other town bodies should be involved
- Discussed need to have subdivision roads meeting town specifications when being built initially to ensure if the town ever takes over the road, it would meet specifications
- Mr. Peterson moved take up a review of the subdivision regulations to include an access permit, and revise them accordingly after consultation with the road commissioner. After discussion, the motion passed unanimously.
- Mr. Peterson move to establish a working group to include the road commissioner and fire to adopt a set of procedures for communicating information relating to subdivisions and access points, to address what could come up in the interim while the subdivision regulations are being reviewed. Ms. Poli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Commission to discuss the proposed Pocket park
- Mary Ashcroft updated the commission on her recent contacts with different entities which could be involved with developing the park.
- GMP is currently in the process of having the dam relicensed and has shown interest in being a partner with the park.
- Suggested to reconvene the group that visited the site last year to keep the project moving forward
- Discussed some revisions needed for tables, acres suitable for renewal on page 58.
- The slide show had the updated numbers, the draft did not.
- Cohen moved to substitute the table entitled “Renewable Energy Potential Summary” on page 58 in the new draft. Mr. Peterson seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Sweet updated the commission on the progress being made on the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan
- The subdivision request from the Allens made in September of 2018 has been formerly withdrawn.
- The Boundary Line Adjustment forms will be discussed in a small group and made available for everyone for the next meeting.
Approval of minutes 3/2/2019:
- Peterson moved to accept. Ms. Poli seconded the motion. After some minor clerical corrections, the motion passed unanimously. Mr. Hunter abstained.
Mr. Burgess moved to adjourn. Mr. Hunter seconded the motion.
The meeting adjourned at 8:41 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Bill Sweet
Rutland Town Planning Commission Chair