Planning Commission Minutes 7-11-19
TOWN OF RUTLAND PLANNING COMMISSION
DATE: July 11th, 2019
RUTLAND TOWN MUNICIPAL HALL
OPEN MEETING 6:00 P.M.
Present: Chair Person Barbara Noyes-Pulling, Dana Peterson, Howard Burgess, Sherman Hunter, Norman Cohen, Jerry Stearns, Jim Hall
Approval of the Agenda:
- Peterson moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Hunter seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
New Business; Public Information meeting for the new Storm Water Ordinance:
- Noyes-Pulling provided some background into the Planning Commissions role in administering the Ordinance and the role the Administrative Assistant, Bill Sweet, will have.
- The most recent copy, with all amendments, was provided.
- Andres Torizzo, who was the consultant who helped draft the ordinance, gave background into what lead to its creation.
- Torizzo reviewed large versions of maps included in the ordinance which show the different areas identified in the ordinance, such as river corridor and stream buffer area.
- Residents and property owners in attendance asked Mr. Torizzo questions I regards to planting and clearing on their properties.
- The public meeting ended at 6:38 PM.
- Discussed whether or not the state had any guidelines for parcels which may be in violation currently. Mr. Torizzo said the state has no guidelines regarding that. The ordinance is designed to educate and manage future property changes.
- Discussed the list of parcels which received the notification letters. Some properties may not have received the letters. Discussed what methods could be used to notify everyone affected.
- Discussed the changes recommended by Town Attorney Kevin Brown.
- Discussed establishing the fee scale for the Storm Water Permit process.
- Peterson moved to set the application fee at $100. Mr. Stearns seconded the motion. Discussed the need for a site visit as part of the process, which could be the need for an increased fee. The motion passed 5-0.
- Discussed the fee scale for an appeal.
- Appeals will be placed on the next available meeting agenda, there will be no special meetings scheduled.
- Cohen moved the fee for appeals be set at $150. Mr. Hunter seconded the motion. The motion passed 5-0.
- Discussed establishing a set of guidelines for the appeal process.
New Business; Discuss establishing guidelines for commission members to address the Select Board
- This topic came up after some recent meetings when commission members addressed the Select Board with information on their personal view.
- Peterson has volunteered to lead the discussion on developing the language.
- Discussed some potential language and topics.
- Hall discussed his concerns which led him to address the Select Board directly.
- Cohen discussed his reasons for addressing the Select Board directly.
- Noyes-Pulling asked members to reach out to Mr. Peterson if they have suggestions.
Old Business; Select Board Public Hearings on the Energy Plan:
- Noyes-Pulling updated the commission on the outcome of the hearings
- The board is considering some changes, including the 10th
- There is no timetable on the changes, but another hearing will be needed.
- VELCO asked the town to approve an exemption to the 50’ set back rule for their proposed solar array. They own the adjoining parcel and intend to merge the parcels. The Select Board is approving their request for the waiver and providing a letter to support this.
- The Town Clerk has suggested the Planning Commission have a stamp to use when approving plats. Barbara and Bill will coordinate getting one made.
Approval of minutes 6/20/2019:
- Peterson moved to approve the minutes. Mr. Hunter seconded the motion. After some discussion and minor clerical correction the motion passed 5-0.
- Stearns moved to adjourn. Mr. Peterson seconded the motion. The meeting adjourned at 7:54 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Bill Sweet
Rutland Town Planning Commission Chair