Select Board Minutes 12-27-18
TOWN OF RUTLAND
SELECT BOARD MEETING – OPEN MEETING RUTLAND TOWN MUNICIPAL BUILDING
181 US BUSINESS ROUTE 4, CENTER RUTLAND, VT 05736
DECEMBER 27th, 2018
- Board members present: Mary Ashcroft, Sharon Russell, Joe Denardo, JP Faignant
- Meeting opened at 6:00 P.M. with the Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Orders
The Board approved the orders
Approval of Select Board Minutes for 12/11/18
- Mr. Faignant moved to approve the minutes, Ms. Russell made second to the motion. The motion passed 3-0 with Mr. Denardo abstaining.
New Business: Board to meet with Devon Neary from the RRPC regarding grant opportunities;
- Mr. Neary presented the board with details about a planning grant opportunity for better connections.
- Discussed what projects would qualify for this grant. A pre application conference call is required prior to applying. Bill will participate in this call on 12/28.
- Application needs to be turned in by January 31st.
- A 10% match is required.
Howard Burgess and Marcia Chioffi Town Listers:
- Mr.Burgess provided the board with follow up information from a previous meeting when the board inquired about an over spend in the listers salary line for FY 2018.
- An increase in the work load caused them to work more hours.
- Ms. Chioffi reviewed the roles each of them have in their office.
- A request was made to increase the rates for the listers salaries. Mr. Faignant asked for them to bring a proposal to the board for consideration.
- Mr. Faignant moved to update the listers salary line to $60,000. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed4-0.
- Ms. Chioffi presented the board with a list of listers responsibilities.
- Mr.Burgess reviewed the expenditure for appraisal update. The vendor who completes this for us has had an increase in costs. Mr. Burgess asked the amount be increased to $6500 from $6000. Mr. Faignant moved to approve the increase. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
- Mr.Burgess does not expect an increase in the cost to update the property maps.
- Ms.Chioffi informed the board as a justice of the peace she qualifies to be a notary at no cost to the town.
Bill Sweet Administrative Assistant to the Select Board:
- Presented the board with a summary of a grant award received by the Police Department
- Presented the board with a contract from Northstar Fireworks for a fireworks display on July 4th. Mr. Faignant moved to authorize Ms. Ashcroft to sign the contract on behalf of the board. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
Kirsten Hathaway Rutland Town Clerk/Treasurer:
- Discussed the board meeting with Andrew from A.M. Peisch on January 8th to review the recent town audit.
- Reminder the office will close early on Monday and will be closed all day Tuesday for new years.
- 2019 dog licenses will be available after January 2nd.
- Anew tool will be added to the website soon. An anonymous reporting tool for issues with dogs will be available. It will send a notice to the Town Clerk and the Town Police Chief.
Byron Hathaway Rutland Town Road Commissioner:
- Updated the board on a minor accident involving one of the town highway trucks. There were no injuries and only minor damage.
- Reviewed recent correspondence received from the Solid Waste District on Gleason Road.They are reviewing a recent construction project and upgrades to the culvert running under Gleason Road.
- Updated the board on the progress of the logging operation at Northwood Park.
- The transfer station has a section set aside for residents to drop off Christmas trees. The highway crew will chip tress dropped off.
- A grant reimbursement has been submitted to the state, we are waiting for the funds to come back from the state.
Frank Cioffi Rutland Town Fire Chief:
- Reported there has been a decrease in calls lately
- Austin Pearo has recently been certified as a Level 1 firefighter and the chief is asking for him to be accepted as a full member. Mr. Faignant moved to approve him, Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
New Business: Board to discuss door locks at the Center Rutland Fire Station;
- There have been issues with the door locks at the Center Rutland fire station. 1 is currently inoperable.
- 2 new locks need to be purchased and relocating the 1 existing working lock to the door on the East side of the building.
- Ms. Russell moved to approve purchasing new locks for the Center Rutland fire station for approximately $1500. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. Bill will contact the vendor who gave the quote to get an updated price. The motion passed 4-0.
Ed Dumas Rutland Town Police Chief:
- Mr. Dumas provided the board with recent calls for service.
- Presented the board with updated language for a mandatory retirement age.
- Mr. Faignant moved to approve the preferred language presented. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. Ms. Ashcroft asked if the Police committee had seen it,Mr. Dumas indicated it has been discussed. The motion passed 4-0.
John Paul Faignant Town Health Officer:
- Presented the board with letters to be sent to the 3 property owners from the previous Board of Health meeting giving them the decision in the form of an order.
- Ms. Russell moved to have Ms. Ashcroft sign as the Clerk of the Board of Health. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. After discussion and review the motion passed 3-0 with Mr. Faignant abstaining.
Committee meeting updates:
- Reviewed a recent meeting of the Town Report committee. Reminder to department heads individual reports are due the 28th.
- Reviewed a recent meeting of the Finance Committee. More will be discussed when the auditor is able to attend a board meeting.
Old Business; Board to review Draft of FY 2019 budget:
- The rate for the second constable needs to be adjusted to reflect the 3% raise. The total budget line will not be affected, just the rate.
- Mr. Denardo suggested the salary line for the Select Board stay unchanged and just adjust the rate for the next budget.
- Kirsten presented an activity log of her activities over the last 2 week period. Discussed her request to allocate funds for an additional person for the clerks office. It would require an additional allocation of approximately $18,000.
- No progress has been made on finding someone from VT seniors programs to help on an interim basis.
- Reviewed remaining lines on current draft. Health insurance was the biggest remaining change due to employee changes at town hall.
- Reviewed the reason for changes in the new equipment lines.
- Mr. Faignant moved to approve the draft of the new budget as reviewed and discussed tonight. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
New Business; Board to discuss staffing at the Transfer Station;
- Mr. Faignant moved to appoint Larry Delleveneri as a new transfer station attendant nd to promote Bill Bauer to the Transfer Station Manager. Ms. Russell made a econd to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
Mr. Faignant moved to enter executive session for pending litigation with Mr. Bill Sweet attending. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously. The board entered executive session at 7:22 PM.
Upon leaving executive session, with no action being taken, Mr. Faignant made a motion to adjourn. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Mr. Bill Sweet
Joshua Terenzini, Chairman
Mary Ashcroft, Clerk
John Paul Faignant
Center Rutland, VT.