Building Committee Minutes 3-27-19
RUTLAND TOWN SELECT BOARD
BUILDING COMMITTEE MEETING
WEDNESDAY MARCH 27th, 2019
The Building Committee of the Rutland Town Select Board met at 9:00 AM on Wednesday March 27th at the Municipal Town Hall. Present was Board Clerk Mary Ashcroft, Board Member Joseph Denardo, Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet, Town Clerk & Treasurer Kirsten Hathaway and Joe Paston from Wright Construction, Mike Carbonneau from Vermont Correctional Industries.
- Meet with Joe Paston regarding the clerks office remodel
- Paston was invited to speak to the committee regarding the remodel project for the Clerk & Treasurer office.
- He was provided with an overview of the project
- Discussed the timeline, starting late June / early July and wrapping up by early fall
- Did a walkthrough of the office and reviewed what the concepts are for the changes
- Paston estimated the project could be completed in approximately 6 weeks
- Discussed the possibility of restoring the original tin ceiling
- Discussed options for flooring, including restoring the original hardwood floors depending on condition
- Discussed that during the construction phase, access to the vault must be maintained
- Sections of the existing wall paneling, flooring and ceiling will be removed to investigate what is concealed to determine if issues exist
- Discussed the unlikely scenario of any asbestos tile existing
- The original trim should be able to be reused.
- Paston indicated their company would be interested in bidding on the project
- Review the proposal received for window treatments
- Vermont Shade and Blind provided an estimate after coming in to look at our building and measure all the windows.
- The quote is for a new blind for each window, including materials, labor and removal of all old hardware.
- The total price quoted was $3100.
- A recommendation will be made to the full board to approve the purchase
- Review options for new audience chairs for the board room
- Reviewed 3 different options of chairs with and without arms and different types of material.
- A decision on chairs with arms and black vinyl upholstery was made.
- A recommendation will be made to the full board to approve the purchase of 20 chairs for $1029.95.
- The old chairs will be stored downstairs and offered to anyone who would like one.
- Reviewed options for upgrading the lighting in the hallway
- Reviewed pricing for new LED flat panel lights received.
- Used a sample panel to check light output and placement.
- 3 X 2×2 and 3 X 2×4 panels would be the best option to replace all the lighting in the hallway.
- The total cost for 6 panels would be approximately $250 not including installation.
- A recommendation will be made to the full board to purchase the lights.
- Discussed installing a dropbox outside next to the front door.
- Would be used for residents to drop off payments in a secure location outside of normal office hours.
- It would only be accessible by Kirsten or Susan.
- Met with Mike Carbonneau from VCI.
- Carbonneau was invited to review the office remodel project and take measurements for a new main counter, new office desks and a work space for researchers.
- We discussed the plan for the room
- Stressed durability of the horizontal work surfaces is critical
- Carbonneau took measurements and will provide us with a quote
- Discussed upgrading the lighting for the parking lot
- The new lights would be a significant upgrade to the current lights
- Efficiency Vermont has rebates available for new exterior lighting
- The current rebates would cover the entire cost of the fixtures
- The only cost would be for installation, and was quoted at approximately $425
- A recommendation will be made to the full board to purchase the new lights and have them installed for a final cost not to exceed $500
- There are several items the committee was not able to address today and will be deferred to the next meeting
- Installing stall walls in the restrooms
- Repairing the downstairs doors to reduce drafts and bugs
- Purchase of a dry erase board for the board room to replace the chalkboard
- Town Hall phone system
- Having Kirstens sign in front of the building mounted to the building
- Creating a bid request to be posted for mowing
There being no other business the meeting adjourned at 10:40 AM.
Respectfully submitted Bill Sweet.