PD and FD Committee Minutes 4-23-19
RUTLAND TOWN SELECT BOARD
POLICE AND FIRE COMMITTEE MEETING
TUESDAY APRIL 23RD, 2019
The Police and Fire Committees of the Rutland Town Select Board met at 10:30 AM on Tuesday April 23rd at the Municipal Town Hall. Present was Board Chair Josh Terenzini, Board Member JP Faignant, Board Clerk Mary Ashcroft, Board member Sharon Russell, Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet, Town Clerk & Treasurer Kirsten Hathaway, Town Assistant Fire Chief Chris Clark, Town Emergency Management Director Marty Wasserman, Town Police Chief Ed Dumas, Steffanie Bourque from the Regional Planning Commission.
- The committee discussed developing an active shooter plan. The first step is to form a planning team and identify the members. Those members will be
- Select Board member John Paul Faignant
- Town Police Chief Ed Dumas
- Town Fire Chief, when elected
- Town Road Commissioner Byron Hathaway
- Town Emergency Management Director Marty Wasserman
- Town Emergency Management Coordinator Bill Sweet
- Rutland Town School Co-Principal Sarah Tetzlaff, to be invited
- A representative from VSP. A letter will be sent asking for their participation
The town school already has developed a plan
- Vermont State Police are directed to visit schools in their assigned area monthly
- Multiple agencies are prepared to respond to an incident
- No large scale multi agency drill has been conducted at the school
A plan needs to be developed for all public buildings or where large groups of people could gather
- Sporting events
- Shopping centers
- Other gatherings
Police officers have had specialized training to address people with special needs.
After we hear back from the invitees another meeting will be scheduled.
The committee met to assist town Emergency Management Director Marty Wasserman with updating the Town Emergency Management Plan
- The new version of this form required additional information including designating an Emergency Operations Center and identifying individuals to fill specific roles
- The committee discussed what the designated Emergency Operations Center would be.
- The primary location will be the Center Rutland Fire Station
- The secondary location will be the Municipal Town Hall
- Bourque gave advice and recommendations based on her experience with plans from other towns and how they designated staff
- The committee reviewed each section of the document and provided input to complete it
- Discussed where shelter locations could be
- A Memorandum of Understanding already exists with the town school for it to be used as an emergency shelter but it has not been reviewed recently. Marty Wasserman will contact the school and review the document. Changes and updates will be made as needed
- The Open Door Mission has been identified as a likely site as well.
- There are several areas which require specific contact information. Bill will work with Steffanie to complete these sections.
There being no other business the meeting adjourned at 11:25 AM.
Respectfully submitted, Bill Sweet.