Police Committee Minutes 11-12-19
RUTLAND TOWN SELECT BOARD
POLICE COMMITTEE MEETING
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 12th, 2019
The Police Committee of the Rutland Town Select Board met at 11:150 AM on Tuesday November 12th at the Rutland Town Center Rutland Fire Station. Present was Board Clerk Mary Ashcroft, Board member Sharon Russell, Town Police Chief Ed Dumas, Town Deputy Police Chief Ted Washburn and Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet.
- The committee reviewed the draft budget proposal presented by Chief Dumas and Deputy Chief Washburn.
- Discussed increasing the hours for the office administrator to help with the work load.
- Some of the expenditures in the proposed budget may be reimbursable through a highway safety grant program.
- Ashcroft will have this list available when the budget presentations are done at pre-town meeting.
- Discussed the reimbursement received for the Omya patrol detail.
- Omya donated $2500 for the town to purchase new body armor.
- Discussed training opportunities.
- John Sly was an ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) trainer and since retiring will not be teaching the classes anymore.
- The committee discussed some changes to the proposed draft.
- Final draft from the meeting gave a total budget of $435,204 representing a 0.83% increase over last year.
- Discussed patrols and coverage in town.
- Chief Dumas gave the committee a letter of indemnification for the committee to review covering Deputy Chief Washburn and his use of the Town Police Truck when he is driving it while he is not on duty. Mr. Sweet will contact VLCT and see if our current policy covers him driving the truck on personal time.
- Discussed the progress on the repairs to the Town police truck. Only a few things remain. Replacing the headliner in the truck in the largest project remaining.
There being no other business the meeting adjourned at 11:45 AM.
Respectfully submitted, Bill Sweet.