Select Board Minutes 10-2-18

Select Board 10-2-18

 

TOWN OF RUTLAND

SELECT BOARD MEETING-OPEN MEETING

            RUTLAND TOWN MUNICIPAL BUILDING

181 US BUSINESS ROUTE 4, CENTER RUTLAND, VT  05736

OCTOBER 2nd, 2018

 

  • Board members present: Josh Terenzini, Mary Ashcroft, Sharon Russell, Joe Denardo
  • Meeting opened at 6:00 P.M. with the Pledge of Allegiance

 

Approval of Orders

The Board approved the orders

Approval of Select Board Minutes for 9/18/18

  • Russell moved to approve the minutes, Mr. Denardo made second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.

Barbara Noyes-Pulling Rutland Town Planning Commission Chair:

  • Noyes-Pulling & Mr. Dana Peterson from the Planning Commission presented the draft of the Rutland Town Enhanced Energy Plan.
    • A review of the background for creating this plan was given, including substantial deference.
    • Discussed targets and goals and what can be done to achieve them.
    • Reviewed constraints
    • Showed maps with various power producing options for the town
    • Discussed view shed impact. A survey will be available on the town website for the month of October.
    • Reviewed solar potential and preferred areas
    • Discussed creating an energy coordinator or energy committee.
      • Planning Commission could but no required
    • Reviewed forest fragmentation language
    • Discussed any potential downsides to adopting the plan. None could immediately be identified.

 

 

New Business; Board to discuss municipal boundary change by Town Hall with Howard Burgess:

  • Information was provided to the board on a numbering issue of properties along Business Route 4 / West Street by Town Hall. Rutland City offered to change the name of the road along the affected section. They made the appropriate changes, and in coordination with State of VT 911, was approved. Rutland City will change the addresses of the affected properties within their jurisdiction and no properties in the Town of Rutland need to be changed.
  • Provided the board with a map of a section of Gleason Road which is numbered inaccurately, using the standard numbering method. VT 911 is aware and was working with Howard on a solution. They provided a recommendation for renumbering.
    • Provided a copy of the state statue allowing the board to compel the change.
    • Discussion of positive and negative impacts.
    • Statute will be referred to the fire committee

 

Bill Sweet Administrative Assistant to the Select Board:

  • Presented the board with a contract for signing with Foley services to provide rugs for Town Hall. Ms. Russell moved to approve the contract and have Josh sign for the board. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
  • Provided the board with a copy of the Rutland City/Fathom Water Management contract.
  • Updated the board on the order of the new desks. They may be here by the next meeting.
  • Updated the board on the status of the new website after its launch.
  • Discussion of an email sent from Josh to Brad Wilson on 9/27/18 re Otter Creek Solar project. No reply has been received. Josh will ask the town attorney to send a certified letter requesting the payment to the town.
  • Presented the board with information received from VT AOT about a grant opportunity for an electric vehicle charging station.

Kirsten Hathaway Rutland Town Clerk/Treasurer:

  • Will be going over the Cemetery fund investment plan on the morning on the 3rd
  • There will be a BCA meeting October 9th at 6PM at Town Hall
  • Town Hall will be closed Monday October 8th for Columbus Day
  • The auditors are wrapping up and will be requesting a meeting with the finance committee when they are done.
  • Absentee ballots are available at Town Hall
  • Working on policies for the Treasurer’s Office
  • Reminded the board on the need to develop a conflict of interest policy.

Mike Rowe Rutland Town Recreation Director:

  • Basketball signups start soon. Information will be on the town website
  • The annual Halloween party will be October 30th at the school from 5 to 7 PM
  • Discussion of repairing / resurfacing of tennis and basketball courts at Dewey field and Northwood Park.
    • Reviewed the proposals from Mike presented to the board.
    • Discussion of adding costs to regular budget or line item
    • Discussion of lighting for courts at Dewey Field

Byron Hathaway Rutland Town Road Commissioner:

  • Flory Heights water meters have been read; 3 still need to be replaced/repaired
  • Updated the board on the status of the manhole cleaning on US 7 South
    • An agreement, to pay for half the cleaning costs, signed by the Manierys has been found by Kevin Brown and provided to Byron. An agreement signed by Dennys has not been found yet.
  • Updated the board on the status of landowner contact, for the primary route, regarding the shared use path. They declined to participate. Byron will be reaching out to 2 alternate property owners to discuss using their land instead.
  • Discussion of construction of the slip lane. Matter will be deferred until a full board is present.

Frank Cioffi Rutland Town Fire Chief:

  • Reviewed the bids for the installation of caps on the new planters at the Center Rutland Fire Station. 1 bid from A. Tedesco Masonry was received. Mr. Denardo moved to approve the option #2 in the amount of $5710. Ms. Ashcroft made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0. Caps to be installed prior to winter
  • Updated the board on the cost to replace firefighting foam after disposing of the contaminated foam. After discussion Ms. Ashcroft moved to approve the purchase of replacement foam for not more than $1700. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
    • The State will be picking up the old foam in the next couple of weeks for disposal.
  • Informed the board on a recent call from VTrans to assist with closing a road / redirecting traffic after a rain storm and a culvert washing out.
    • Matter will be referred to the fire committee for review and discussion
    • A meeting at the RRPC is being held on December 12th and may be of value
  • Reviewed status of the land swap around the McKinley Avenue Fire Station
  • Updated the board on the status on the well project at the McKinley Avenue Fire Station. The final stage of capping the old well and paving over it will be done this week.

 

Ed Dumas Rutland Town Police Chief:

  • Dumas provided the board with recent calls for service.
  • There has been no information received yet on the status of the grants which have been applied for.
  • Reviewed the response received from a party regarding a dog complaint. We are waiting for a reply from the town attorney before moving forward.

New Business: Board to discuss reimbursement from Rutland Town School for Kirstens Treasurer Services;

  • Since there has been a decrease in the amount of work the Supervisory Union has been asking Kirsten to do on their behalf they have asked the board to approve a decrease in the amount they reimburse the town from $15,480 to $6984. The Supervisory Union would like to use these funds to pay a match to a grant they recently received.
  • The town budgeted for this fiscal year accounting for the full amount to be received. Mr. Terenzini brought up that the 1% local tax option is doing well and should be able to cover this gap.
  • Ashcroft discussed that both the town and school have budgeted these amounts and suggested this be considered for next fiscal year.
  • Denardo moved to allow the reduction in reimbursement from the Supervisory Union in the amount of $6984. 23 to help the offset to their safety grant. Ms. Russell recused herself from the vote because of a conflict of interest. Ms. Ashcroft moved to send the issue to a finance committee meeting. Mr. Denardo withdrew his motion. The issue will be brought up at the next finance committee meeting. Mr. Denardo asked the finance committee to review the calculation for the reduction and match during the committee meeting.

 

 

Committee meeting updates:

  • There are budget meetings for police and fire on October 19th starting at 10 AM.
  • Ashcroft reviewed a recent highway committee meeting at the proposed pocket park location. There will likely be a need to form an ad-hoc committee for this project.

 

Mr. Denardo moved to enter executive session for a personnel matter with Kirsten Hathaway attending and a second for a personnel matter with Fire Chief Frank Cioffi and Bill Sweet attending. Ms. Russell made a second to the motion. The motion passed 4-0. The board entered executive session at 7:55 PM.

 

Upon leaving executive session, with no action being taken, Ms. Ashcroft made a motion to adjourn. Mr. Denardo made a second to the motion. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 8:21 PM.

Respectfully submitted, Mr. Bill Sweet