Select Board Minutes 3-2-2020
TOWN OF RUTLAND SELECT BOARD OPEN MEETING
RUTLAND TOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1612 POST ROAD RUTLAND, VT 05701
MARCH 2ND, 2020
- Board members present: Josh Terenzini, Mary Ashcroft, Sharon Russell, Joe Denardo,
- Meeting opened at 5:00 P.M. with the Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Orders
The Board approved the orders
Approval of Select Board Minutes for February 25th:
- Denardo moved to approve the minutes; Ms. Ashcroft seconded the motion. The motion passed 3-0 with Ms. Russell abstaining.
Bill Sweet Administrative Assistant to the Select Board:
- Reviewed the meeting schedule and committee agenda items
- Provided the current preferred vendor list to review. This will also be given to all department heads for review.
- Gave copies of letters sent to 2 new local businesses that recently open, H&R Block and Nails Spa, both in the Green Mountain Plaza
Mike Rowe Rutland Town Recreation Director:
- 5th and 6th grade boys and girls basketball teams won their respective rec tournaments.
- There will be a rec committee meeting planned for March 17th at 5PM at Town Hall.
Byron Hathaway Rutland Town Road Commissioner:
- Reported on a recent Transportation Council meeting regarding prioritizing local projects. Bridges will be the main focus.
- Discussed an Act 250 permit application prepared for the construction of the cold storage building at Northwood Park.
- Ashcroft moved to certify the added building would not pose any increased burdens on services. Additionally, giving authorization to allow Bill Sweet to sign the permit, once finalized, for filing. Ms. Russell seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
Chris Clark Rutland Town Fire Chief:
- Some members have requested permission to attend an upcoming training session out of state. The cost of the courses is $165 each. This will come from the training budget.
Committee meeting updates:
- Reviewed the minutes from the recent Water & Sewer committee meeting where the 3 bids were reviewed for the Randbury Road water line.
- Reviewed the summary letter received from Otter Creek Engineering on February 28th.
- Discussed the costs that went into the total bid price.
- The committee recommended to accept the bid from Masterson Excavation with bid alternate #1 included for a total of $233,229.
- The total project cost should be approximately $307,844 with the services required, and to be provided by, Otter Creek Engineering.
- Ashcroft moved to approve the Masterson Excavation bid. Ms. Russell seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
- Ashcroft moved to accept the contract services for Otter Creek Engineering for $74,606. Mr. Denardo seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
- Ashcroft commented on the ease and efficiency of the bid process made possible by the help of Otter Creek Engineering.
Ms. Russell moved to increase Town Lister Marcia Chioffi’s hourly rate to $20 per hour due to her additional help with various projects at Town Hall. Ms. Ashcroft seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
Mr. Terenzini reviewed his recent phone call with the Rutland Regional Medical Center CEO regarding their preparations for the corona virus. A case has been diagnosed at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. Our local hospital is confident they would be able to handle cases if they arrive in Rutland.
Mr. Terenzini reviewed election preparation done today. The 2 election sites are prepared and ready for the elections tomorrow.
Two liquor licenses were received for approval. One is for Johnny Boys and the other is for the Macs Market in Center Rutland. Both applications were reviewed by the Police Department. Ms. Ashcroft moved to approved both applications. Ms. Russell seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0.
Mr. Terenzini reinforced the need to go into executive session by the board has met the legal need each and every time. All public matters have been handled in public discussion. The Select Board also acts as Human Resources so the need arises more often to protect the privacy of town employees.
Mr. Denardo discussed storm water issues on Route 7 South behind Aldi’s and if construction happens could it be rolled into this project. No applications have come in yet. Discussed if the board could reach out proactively before an application was filed.
Ms. Russell moved to enter executive session for a personnel matter. Mr. Denardo seconded motion. The motion passed 4-0. The board entered executive session at 5:32 PM.
Upon leaving executive session, with no action being taken, Ms. Russell moved to adjourn. Mr. Denardo seconded the motion. The motion passed 4-0. The meeting was adjourned at 6:08 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Mr. Bill Sweet
|Joshua C. Terenzini, Chairman|
|Mary Ashcroft, Clerk|
|John Paul Faignant|
Center Rutland, VT.