Personnel Committee Minutes 4-30-19
RUTLAND TOWN SELECT BOARD
PERSONNEL COMMITTEE MEETING
TUESDAY APRIL 30TH, 2019
The Personnel Committee of the Rutland Town Select Board met at 4:00 PM on Tuesday April 30th at the Municipal Town Hall. Present was Board Chair Josh Terenzini, Board member John Paul Faignant, Town Road Commissioner Byron Hathaway, Town Clerk & Treasurer Kirsten Hathaway and Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet.
- The committee discussed establishing a conflict of interest policy.
- Reviewed the reason for the need of the policy, which comes from state statute.
- Reviewed a draft policy using a template provided by Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- Reviewed and discussed the language in the model policy
- Reviewed and discussed making changes to the language to make it town specific.
- Proposed changes will be made and the updated document will be reviewed at a future committee meeting.
- Reviewed information provided from Ms. Hathaway regarding a health insurance appeal which was denied by the federal government.
- They had previously provided the town notice of health insurance plans which should be covering 2 employees of the town, based on those individuals input on their tax returns. The decision was appealed because neither individual qualified to be covered.
- The matter will be forwarded to town attorney Kevin Brown for follow up.
- Discussed changing the town Designated Employee Representative with VLCT from Police Captain Ted Washburn to Administrative Assistant Bill Sweet.
- The committee agreed this change made sense.
- Bill will contact VLCT to start the process
- The committee discussed sick time and vacation time benefits.
- Discussed examples where use of sick time caused hourly employees work weeks to be over 40 hours.
- Up to 20 days can carry over year to year, with a maximum accrual of 30 days allowed per the current personnel policy.
- Discussed whether to allow the employee to decide how to apply it, or have the total stop and 40 hours and the balance go back to their sick time balance.
- The committee will recommend to the board that payouts and use of sick time will be left up to the employee.
- Unused benefit time that expires will not be paid out to any employee.
- Discussed changing the designation of sick time and vacation time to paid time off
- Faignant discussed trials in other organizations that have been done with unfavorable results
- Hathaway discussed overtime pay practices in the winter
- Days when the roads need to be cleared early, the shifts begin at 4AM. He would like to pay overtime from 4AM to 7AM
- Regular shifts would end at 12PM for that day instead of 3PM, this would be treated as a flex schedule.
- The committee decided to leave the decision up to department heads to determine.
There being no other business the meeting adjourned at 4:30 PM
Respectfully submitted, Bill Sweet.